At Lanzetta Orthodontics, we understand that, as a child, your experience with orthodontics can have a lasting effect. We are proud to treat patients of all ages, especially children, and set them up for a lifetime of oral success.
When most people consider the reasons for orthodontic treatment, they simply think about correcting “crooked” teeth and other aesthetic issues. However, when some primary teeth, also called baby teeth, are still present, we can begin to correct and prevent problems like severe overbites, underbites, and crossbites. Facial growth modification can be very effective at this age to treat some orthodontic patients, rather than waiting until the patient’s permanent teeth are all in.
Reasons For Early Treatment
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that every child visit an orthodontist by age 7 or earlier if a problem is detected by parents, the family dentist, or the child’s physician. Around this age, children still have a mix of both baby teeth and permanent teeth, which allows the teeth and jaw to move more easily during treatment. Starting treatment at an early age has produced more effective and faster results than waiting to start treatment until later years.
Being proactive with early orthodontic treatment can not only set your child up for a lifetime of straight teeth, but it can also prevent your child from undergoing more complicated oral treatments during the teenage or adult years by preventing other issues from arising. Some of the oral health conditions best treated early include the following:
- An Underbite – Children with this condition have lower teeth that stick out farther than the upper teeth when the mouth is closed or when biting.
- An Overbite – In this condition, the child’s upper teeth stick out farther than the lower teeth while biting or when the mouth is closed.
- Severe Crossbite – The child has severe crossbite if multiple teeth are too close to the cheek or the tongue compared to the tooth on the other arch. Children with severe crossbite may also bite their tongues frequently while eating.
- Severe Crowding – Children with severe overcrowding have multiple sections with teeth too close together. This condition can lead to a wide range of problems later on, including problems with chewing.
- Excessive Gaps – Too much space between the teeth will leave the child with crooked teeth as they grow.
What Should I Expect When My Child Begins Orthodontic Treatment?
Your child’s orthodontic treatment starts with a free consult. During this visit, one of our orthodontists at Lanzetta Orthodontics will thoroughly examine your child’s teeth, jaw, and mouth.
We’ll observe your child’s bite and take an x-ray, photos, and digital 3D scans. The x-ray and scans will give us a clear view of the teeth positioning and help us to quickly assess any problems. We’ll then create a comprehensive treatment plan and review all treatment options, payment plans, and answer any questions you or your child may have.
We understand how important it is to provide your child with the best treatment and experience possible. At Lanzetta Orthodontics, we offer different treatment options for your family to choose from, depending on your child’s needs. Some of the appliances we offer include:
- Traditional Metal Braces – Metal braces are a classic treatment option that has been refined over the years to include a sleeker design and higher efficiency. We even offer customizable options such as colored elastics for added personality!
- Ceramic Braces – Ceramic braces work like traditional brackets but are made of tooth-colored ceramic rather than metal. These braces deliver a more discreet appearance while retaining the same effectiveness as traditional braces. However, ceramic brackets are known to be less durable, so they may not be suited for every patient.
Effective Braces Treatment For Your Kids In Taylor, MI
Are you wondering if your child will need braces? Request your free consult today to discuss the best treatment options for your child. We’ll provide you with all the information you need to make the most informed choices about your child’s treatment.
At Lanzetta Orthodontics, we provide effective, flexible, and customizable braces for kids in Taylor, MI. We’ll make your child’s braces application and adjustments as relaxing and comfortable as possible in our well-appointed office. Our orthodontists provide tailored treatment plans for each patient to boost their health and confidence.